The Department of Public Works is the largest department within the City of Ithaca and is overseen by the Superintendent of Public Works. Within this department there are three main divisions, which are broken into smaller areas to provide the city with a vast array of services:
- Engineering Division:
- Provides the following services:
- Engineering support services to city departments;
- Project management of construction projects;
- Record keeping and storage of historical maps for the city;
- Sidewalk Program;
- Traffic and transportation services.
- Ensuring streets, sidewalks, and parking garages are clear of snow, ice and debris;
- Maintain sidewalks, parks, Newman Golf Course and all city properties for easy access;
- Removes yard and solid waste on a regular and consistent basis to keep Ithaca beautiful.
- Water & Sewer Division:
- Provides potable water to the residents and businesses in the City of Ithaca and collects, treats, and responsibly disposes of wastewater. Services include the following:
- Installation and repair of water and sewer lines;
- Meter reading for water and sewer services;
- Plumbing inspection;
- Water and wastewater treatment;
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
Superintendent of Public Works:
Michael J. Thorne, P.E.
Second Floor of City Hall
108 East Green Street Room 202
Ithaca, NY 14850
Phone: (607) 274-6527
Fax: (607) 274-6587
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Directions to City Buildings
The mission of the Department of Public Works is to provide for public health and safety, to support commerce and industry, and to provide or support public services in an economical and timely manner, while providing for employee health, safety satisfaction and insuring the integrity and reasonable use of municipal resources.